With a personal love for Camellia sinensis
, Eliot has studied tea in all its forms. It wakes, warms, cools, relaxes, propels— is there anything tea can't do?
Some questions to ponder over your next cup of tea:
- Why would people travel halfway around the world and back, just for a leaf that has almost no nutritional value?
- Why would some risk their lives and spend years trying to steal the techniques of growing and processing it?
- How many fortunes were made or lost chasing after tea?
- How many wars were fought to control it?
- How many plants have inspired ceramics, races, artwork, poetry, migrations, revolutions, even religions?
In the forthcoming novel The Aether Glass
, there is an analogous plant that does all of the above. Which is why it should not be considered exactly fantasy...